Elk Island Catholic Schools (EICS) provides a wide range of programs to meet the diverse needs of students within the context of a Catholic Christian community. By way of innovative classroom practices and progressive initiatives, EICS engages and inspires each student to reach their greatest potential.
At École OLPH, we are proud to offer programming for our students in both French and English.
French Immersion Program
French Immersion is a program of studies in which French is the language of instruction for a significant part of the school day. All core subjects are taught in French (except the formal study of English). The objective of the program is full mastery of the English language, functional fluency in French, as well as an understanding and appreciation of the French culture. We believe that a high level of immersion is the best way to give our students the best possible French language exposure!
Benefits of Learning French
Learning French offers students significant linguistic, academic, and cognitive benefits. It opens doors to knowledge, communication, culture, and travel, and gives graduates an edge in the global job market. It also provides the following benefits:
- strengthens English literacy skills
- develops listening and learning skills
- enhances problem-solving abilities
- increases cognitive abilities, making the student a more flexible and creative thinker
- provides graduates with more choices for advanced education and career options
- gives graduates a competitive edge in the job market anywhere in Canada and in many other countries
- broadens students' cultural life through access to literature, art, music and theatre in another language
- helps students to better understand the history, development and government of their country
- offers a gateway to national and international opportunities
- increases a student's feeling of self-esteem and pride
- makes learning a third or fourth language much easier
Career and Technology Foundations (CTF) Option Courses & Specialty Programing
In addition to regular instruction, all of our students will have exposure to a variety of options courses based on the Career and Technology Foundations (CTF) curriculum. CTF courses provide students with an opportunity to explore their interests and passions as they learn about various career possibilities and occupational areas.
To see which CTF option courses are available this year please click the following links:
**Please note, due to COVID-19 procedures and protocols in the 2020-2021 school year, we are currently limited in the CTF option courses we are able to offer. Please connect with your child's homeroom teacher if you have questions about which CTF options are available during the 2020-2021 school year**
Extra-Curricular, Clubs, & Special Activities
At École OLPH we have a wide range of extra-curricular activities and clubs that our students can get involved in. We encourage our students to take part in a variety of activities during their time here with us at École OLPH. Students who are involved in their school community in a variety of ways are more likely to feel more empowered, engaged, and care about their school environment.
To learn more about what extra-curricular activities and clubs we have at our school click here.